Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why should we care?

I stumbled across an interesting article yesterday about Sandra Cisneros leaving Texas. Prior to reading the article, the first thought that came to mind was: “Yeah, so what? She can leave if she wishes. People move. She’s not abandoning her heritage.” Is she abandoning Texas? Her heritage? Chicana literature? No, absolutely not. After reading the article, there were a few comments that struck a chord with me. I sympathize with her sentiment on: “People are always asking for me to give and give, which I have tried to do. But I can't afford to do it anymore. The publishing industry is a wreck and the money has simply dwindled."As a literary icon, she has contributed a vast amount of time, money, and effort towards the advancement of Chicano arts, but have her efforts fallen on deaf ears? Simply because she has to take care of herself, does it signify abandonment?During an economic downturn, it is the arts that are first dismissed or cut-off – this information is not new. Yet, their fruitful nature is the livelihood and core of education and culture. As double major in English and American Literature and Chicano Studies, I understand the plight and the connection that is deeply embedded in literature, history, and culture. They are all intertwined; you can’t have one without the other. Yet, when she stated “I live in a community that does not know its own history” I could not help but shake my head in dismay – she’s right, in fact, it’s the brutally honest truth. The truth stings, and, unless you’re living under a rock, should not be a shocker. While this may infuriate some readers, it is the harsh reality that is shaping our youth. It’s not only OUR culture, but history in general. Is there a glitch in the education system? In how children are taught? Living in the borderlands, one would assume that one’s history would be enhanced…. Well… let’s just say Latin American Lit courses are hard to find in the collegiate level, let alone in high schools. It’s disheartening to know that, despite living in a U.S.-Mexico border city, there are individuals who do not know who César Chávez is or what he stood for. I shook my head in dismay when this issue arose in one of classes. Have we been desensitized to not care or are we suffering from the “it only matters if it affects me” mentality? Time can only tell….

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More